Sunday, May 31, 2015

What led me to TED

I've been moderate all my life. I literally can't remember a time when I couldn't, at least for a minute, step outside an argument and try to see it from the other person's viewpoint. Overall, it has been a blessing, but naturally it can also be a curse, and that egalitarian ideology has sometimes left me open to ridicule for lack of conviction.

Have I been known to take too much on and fail to execute everything well? Of course. I think I used to be famous for it. At least as I get older I'm comfortable admitting it. Although the words may have taken years to meander out of my mouth, that admission has probably lead to the most tangible and productive improvements in my self-worth and subsequent value to others.

A few years ago, I began to try the concept of just saying 'no' to things. Things that would normally seem like a no-brainer. Things that would be good for the finances, or good for my self-esteem, or the greater good of the community, or maybe all of the above.

The first few times I let the word slip out of my mouth it felt like I was letting someone down. Maybe the person on the other end of the phone, maybe myself, maybe both of us, and more.

But it freed me. It was liberating beyond belief. After a lifetime of being the guy who 'gets things done', and can always be 'relied upon', I was beginning to put myself and my existing (and rather extensive) suite of tasks first, instead of continuing to be the Samaritan.

I've been known to summarise my life in point-form, and when I do, it sounds a little scary. Once I finish, it's little wonder people might be thinking; "this guy doesn't have time to help me", and you mightn't blame them.

As at June 2015 I am (in no particular order of importance, except for item 1); raising three beautiful children aged 7, 10 and 23, running a public relations and marketing firm with my gorgeous and talented wife, performing around 150 gigs a year in various parts of Australia and internationally, trying to release my debut EP, teaching 20 students in one-on-one music lessons, completing my degree in production Horticulture, renovating our home and office, building a cubby house, trying to keep fit and workout five times a week and attending the odd male cooking class.

Enough for now? Yes thanks.

Old habits die hard though, and saying no to something I feel is for the greater good doesn't come easy to me, no matter how many balls I have in the air at the time.

So when one such opportunity arose recently I had to put my penchant for 'no' on hold.

Over the past four months I have been quietly chipping away with a group of like-minded individuals in the beautiful city of Orange, with a view to staging a TEDx event in our city. Last week our hard work and hours of think-tanking paid off with TEDx granting me the licence for an event in Orange on November 20, 2015.

How will I fit this in? Easy. It's worth it. We're going to try and improve our city through this forum, and some lives along the way. What could be more worthwhile than that?

If you haven't already watched the Randy Pausch lectures on time management, then please invest an hour or so of your life doing so. They are simple, but life-changing. They will show you how, by compartmentalising and partitioning the fragments of your life, you can achieve everything you want, including wonderful, meaningful relationships.

I can't wait for the voyage towards TEDx Orange on November 20.

What would we like to achieve? Social good. Social justice. Positive change.

I can fit that in......

No comments:

Post a Comment